[vlc-devel] ff / rew, courtesy of the demuxer

j.zorko at att.net j.zorko at att.net
Wed May 28 00:02:48 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

This is fully functional now, as far as I can test it so far ... server VLC on Mac OSX 10.2.6, built
from latest CVS code plus my changes, client VLCs on Mac OSX 10.2.6 (CVS) as well as dual RedHat
9 boxen (0.5.3).  The diff appears at http://darwinarts.com/~zorko/vlc/diffs_ff_rew_1 ...

The actual seeking is done by the access module, no changes there.  The input_thread_t now has a
pf_setdemuxoptions function pointer, pointing to the demux modules' implementation of
SetDemuxOptions(), which specifies parameters to control the demuxer in nifty cases like this (ff /
rewind).  Demux() is then changed to pay attention to these new parameters in order to determine
when to have the access module do the seek, how many frames / seconds to seek (+ / -), and how
many frames to play after seeking.  I implemented SetDemuxOptions() for the MP3 demux module
(vlc_root/modules/demux/mpeg/audio.c) as well as modified Demux() to accomplish this.  I'll look
into doing the same for the MPEG2 video module ...

I'd appreciate it if people could have a look, test it out, tell me what you see ...

Regards,

John

--
Falling You - exploring the beauty