[vlc-devel] Trouble writing vout plugin

Andreas Korth andreas.korth at gmx.net
Sat Nov 8 17:32:36 CET 2003

I'm just writing a video output plugin and I've got a nasty bug that you
could maybe help me with.

The plugin uses OpenGL by setting up an XWindow with a GLX drawing context
during plugin initialization. This works fine. The problem occurs in the
"Display" method when I try to swap the GLX buffers using:

 glXSwapBuffers( p_vout->p_sys->p_display, p_vout->p_sys->win );

where 'win' is the X-Window and 'p_display' the respective X-Display.

VLC will SIGSEGV 11 when the call is made from the "Display" function. The
same call executes happily when issued during initialization.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Here's the backtrace information for the interested:

[New Thread 16384 (LWP 537)]
[New Thread 32769 (LWP 538)]
[New Thread 16386 (LWP 539)]
[New Thread 32771 (LWP 540)]
[New Thread 49156 (LWP 541)]
[New Thread 65541 (LWP 542)]
0x40042aa6 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#0  0x40042aa6 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x41d4eebc in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler(int) ()
   from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4

Cheers,
Andreas