[vlc-devel] How to timestamp output picture ?

Olivier Aubert oaubert at lisi.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Nov 27 17:03:19 CET 2003

Hello

I am in the process of polishing a snapshot module for VLC, which allows
external applications to ask for snapshots of the displayed movie. For
this, I create a dummy video output module which keeps a cache of
rendered pictures.

I would like to add timestamps to these cached snapshots, for the
special case of seekable streams where we can have the notion of an
absolute position in ms from the movie start, or even better, a frame
number. For the moment, I infer this from the position in the stream
(through input_Tell), but it is not very clean nor accurate.

I read through various pieces of code, but I found nothing that could
allow me to attach an absolute timestamp or frame number to a
p_picture_t fed to a video output module.

Could some knowledgeable person confirm this impression, or give me
another direction to investigate ?

Thanks,
Olivier