[vlc-devel] Re: [ANN] VLC 0.7.0-test1

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Thu Nov 27 23:30:03 CET 2003

Jason Luka writes:
 > Other than the speex package, do I need to add any new headers to the
 > Red Hat/Fedora RPM version?
 >
 > Jasno Luka

The short answer is perhaps you *might* want to include a libcdio and a
vcdimager RPM if you want the alternative VCD and CD-DA plugins

In the VLC 0.7.0-test1 version there are experimental replacements to
the CD-DA and VCD plugins. Both plugins use libcdio and the VCD plugin
uses also libraries from VCDimager.

The features of the VCD plugin the abiltity to understand VCD
navigation, although right now I'm having problems with still-frame
switching.

As for the the CD-DA plugin, the differences are smaller.  There is a
smart search for a drive with a CD-DA loaded in it.  Also it is
possible to play a BIN/CUE disk image of a CD-DA and possibly a Nero
image as well since libcdio supports this modulo some bugs.

I think fairly soon there will be some sort of CDDB support too, via
libcddb.

The bad news is that libcdio and vcdimager are close to release but
technical difficulties have prevented me from doing so. libcdio was
recently made an official GNU project; as such, the FTP download area
has changed and I don't have the permission yet to make a GNU release.

On the VCDImager side, there was a fork in the CVS code around version
0.7.14 for libcdio versus non libcdio code. Fairly recently this was
merged back into the head branch and I've gotten the go-ahead to make
a 0.7.20 VCDImager release. However since this too is an official GNU
project, I have the same permissions problem. Also and since there was
a small change to the API, I want both 0.7.20 to come out with version
0.65 of libcdio.

For both libcdio and vcdimager (cdio branch) there are Suse and
Packman RPMs.