[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] + Re: Re: libcddb added, playlist interface - disappointing

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Nov 30 22:54:32 CET 2003

I agree on this approach. It seems way more logical to store
information concerning a file in a structure that is part of a
playlistitem then to store it at the input level.

And when you are storing information there any way, why use multiple
structures to hold the same type of information. For that matter i
think we should even move the 'currently set options for this file'
information (which is basically an array with pairs of option,value
strings) into the same structure.

DJ

On 30 nov 2003, at 22:16, Sigmund Augdal wrote:
> By gut reaction to this whould be to use the input_info structures. We
> could
> move these sructures and acompanying functions to the playlist. Then
> the
> playlist window could use the content of the "General" category as
> columns
> (with a way to hide stuff) and the rest of the info in the general
> category
> could be available in tooltip or rightclick menu or something. To see
> all
> the info in it's gory details you whould have to go to view->file info.
>
> I'll think this better through though.
>
> Sigmund
>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:46:04PM +0100, Clément Stenac wrote:
>>> http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/vlc/doc/doxygen/html/input__ext-
>>> plugins_8h.html#a28
>>> http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/vlc/doc/doxygen/html/input__ext-
>>> plugins_8h.html#a29
>>> These will show up in View->File info... and this is the right place
>>> for
>>> such information in my opinion.
>>
>> I personnaly disagree. I think that almost nobody goes to see this if
>> one is not searching for special informations. I think the fileinfo
>> dialog should mainly be intended for technical informations about the
>> stream. "Userland" informations, such as ID3 or CDDB infos should go
>> in
>> the playlist item, IMHO.
>>
>> About how to add them, I don't know if we should add 5 or 6 new fields
>> to the playlist_item_t structure, or rather (I think this one is
>> better), create a pp_infos in the playlist_item_t where we could store
>> all the infos we have (each element of pp_infos would contain "info
>> type","value").
>>
>> Then, the user should be able to see all the infos that are stored in
>> the pp_infos in the iteminfo dialog, and, perhaps, one day, be able to
>> show this in the listview (customizable, eh :).
>>
>> What could go in the pp_infos: author, duration, genre, ... (all but
>> name and URI).
>>
>> But all this is my personnal opinion... What do you think ?
>>
>> --
>> Zorglub
>> Clément Stenac
>>
>> --

---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (hartman at videolan dot org)
Developer of the MacOS X port of vlc
http://www.videolan.org/vlc