[vlc-devel] Re: transcode - audio down-mix

Boris Dorès babal at via.ecp.fr
Sat Oct 11 23:49:05 CEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 10:58:31AM (GMT+0100), Simon wrote:
> I note that transcode.c code is receiving attention lately. While you are at
> it, do you have any plans to give us a down-mix audio transcoding utility
> from more than 2 channels to 2 channels (stereo output). I have a number of
> DVDs which are 5.1 and I play them on a hardware which only supports 2
> channels. Some sound effects are on channels other than front left and right
> and the audio output of these titles is not that great.

  It may not be the perfect solution for your problem, yet you can still
try to use the "headphone channel mixer" audio filter. It's intended to
downmix any source to a stereo output suitable for a headphone, adding a
virtual spatialization effect, but that effect should be discreet with
traditionnal speakers.

--
babal