[vlc-devel] Re: Mapping MPEG-2 TS's PID to Output Pin

Tristan Leteurtre tristan.leteurtre at anevia.com
Thu Oct 30 19:22:11 CET 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003, Thomas Peng wrote:
> They can connect in graphedt, but can't display any image. The recv
> multicast filter is supposed to output a Transport Stream and I've mapped
> the demux output pin to look for PID (0x0, 0x21, 0x31,..???, I failed to
> display any thing).
>
>      I don't know what's "PID number" in the VLC's or VLS' MPEG-2 TS.
>      Would you please give me some help?

I suggest that you read some tutorials about the MPEG2 TS (Transport
System) system layer of mpeg2, to understand how a decoder demuxes the
stream.

In short, PID 0 is a 'PAT', in PAT the PIDs of 'PMT' (programs) are coded. Then,
in a 'PMT', you will find the Video & Audio PIDs.

Try to search in google something like 'MPEG2 tutorial PAT PMT PID'.

--
Tristan