[vlc-devel] Re: 0.6.3 changes to Red Hat

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Sep 22 09:18:45 CEST 2003

Jason Luka wrote:

> Yes, but in Red Hat, esd covers the sound for the Gnome desktop, and
> artsd covers the sound for KDE.  Those are the only two desktops in Red
> Hat, so ALSA really isn't used.

On the other hand you do not want to use esd or artsd with vlc, it
introduces to much delay the audio and video sync. Esd and artsd
introduces an unknown delay and could cause lipsync problems with audio
and video. Personally I never use one or the other while running vlc on
RedHat.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman