[vlc-devel] vlc fails with network jitter

asrao at hns.com asrao at hns.com
Wed Sep 24 20:08:20 CEST 2003

We used nistnet to add about 0.1 msecs max of jitter  (delay variation) to
a 1.5 Mbps MPEG-2 transport stream which was being played
out in unicast UDP format.  The video started blocking and finally froze.
VLC works fine with less than 0.1 msec of jitter.
For those who are interested, the setting when problems on nistnet when
problems started was
 mean delay = 360 msecs and sigma (standard deviation) = 0.03

Any suggestions on what we could do ?  We were running this on a Windows
2000 PC - 700 Mhz Pentium -3 with 300 Meg fo RAM

 Does anyone know where in the code can one increase the udp socket
receive buffer size  SO_RCVBUF
 - I've been grepping for setsockopt with no avail in the source code.

Thanks
Ashok Rao

asrao at hns dot com