[vlc-devel] Re: Mozilla Plugin - Debugging Suggestions

James MacLean macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Wed Apr 7 19:39:52 CEST 2004

First folks,

Let me say that the very helpfull, quick and accurate answers to my
questions has been very appreciated. Excellent client service, thanks :).

Gildas said:

> And lastly, you will have to copy/registrer the vlcintf.xpt with
> regxpcom in order to have a scriptable VLC plugin.

For me it seems to be easiest to copy it along with the dll, but now I
read I should be putting vlcintf.xpt into the components subdir,
although it works fine in plugins.

> You can run mozilla from a dos command box with "mozilla -console". The
> VLC plugin will use this console to output all its debug messages.
> You'll then be able to find out if it is finding its plugins, etc...
> Hope this helps,

It did very much and a big thank you. But now of course, I have another
situation. When a link on a page (not an embed) starts the plugin,
vlcshell.cpp calls NPP_SetWindow, which calls VLC_AddTarget. As I
understand from the debug, this adds the URL to the playlist. But then,
NPP_StreamAsFile is called, which tried to add the URL downloaded to the
cache as a file to the playlist. This fails because the cache entry
nolonger exists at this point, why I don't understand.

So, my first Q, why is it being added twice? Once as a URL and once as a
file?

Second question is why do we not play automatically when a URL is
clicked (I had to add VLC_AddTarget)? I expect this is because we want the
user to control the starting and stopping, but from clicking on a URL,
what option does the user have to start playing?

Lastly, pause is not working. This is all from the latest SVN, but wanted
to mention it in case it was relavent :).

To make it start working for me here, I added VLC_Play after VLC_AddTarget
in NPP_SetWindow and did not call VLC_AddTarget in NPP_StreamAsFile. Now
my links start up the plugin and it streams as expected. If I leave the
VLC_AddTarget in NPP_SteamAsFile, that stream tries to play when it is
added to the playlist, but fails because of it missing in the cache ;(.

> --
> Gildas

thanks again,
JES