[vlc-devel] Re: WINXP: changes to dshow access module to support WDM Capture Card such as ATI AIW

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Mon Apr 12 15:34:13 CEST 2004

On Saturday 10 April 2004 00:02, Damien Fouilleul wrote:

> I've attached a patch file for the changes I've made.

Thanks a lot for this. Using ICaptureGraphBuilder2 does indeed make sense.

I just applied your patch with a few modifications:
- The vlc_object_t pointer passed in the config variables callbacks is not
an input_thread_t object. Well, it could be if the callback was triggered
by an input object but you shouldn't assume that (and in the dshow plugin
this is not the case).
- The properties dialogs are shown before we setup our VLC stream, that way,
properties changes (eg. video size changes) are taken into account.
- Some coding style changes (I couldn't resist).

I also slightly changed the open dialog in the interface so it is now easy
to enable the :dshow-config option before starting a stream (instead of
going through the preferences panel).

> ... the configuration side is a bit basic.
> The current VLC DirectShow configuration panel does not suit Complex
> Capture card, such as the AIW, very well.

Yes, I realize that.

> For example, I need to be able to select a Video Source from the AIW
> capture card (composite, S-Video, Tuner), and I currently hard code to
> tuner. Similarily, WDM Driver provides up to 7 different properties
> pages, and unfortunately I can't combine them onto one
> OlePropertyFrame. Hence, I currently have  to show them one window at
> at a time when configure is it.

Ideally, the properties dialogs should only be used for "uncommon" settings
(ie. settings which are kinda specific to a certain hardware). So it is
fine by me if the dialogs are displayed all in a row when the user
requested them (:dshow-config setting).

For more general settings (eg. crossbar settings, tuning), it would be nice
to rather implement config options for them. That way it would be possible
to have VLC automatically do the tuning or such (useful when using VLC on a
remote machine and you don't want to have any kind of user interaction).
It should also be possible to build and "advanced dshow options" dialog
accessible from the open dialog (hopefully).

Anyway, thanks a lot for this patch. The development of the dshow input was
kinda stalled because I lack proper hardware (only have a cheap webcam ;)
so it is really nice to see somebody else working on it :)

--
Gildas