[vlc-devel] Making a IRC-like Chat client plugin module

Sooyoung maximus at cmu.edu
Tue Apr 13 18:26:00 CEST 2004

Hi,
I've been asking many questions recently. Thanks for those who've
answered them, and those who've been patient with my emails.

I've written an IRC-like chat client, and now I'd like to incorporate it
into VLC so that a user can play AV stream while he/she chats with
people who are watching the same stream.

So, I added a new dialog window inside wxwindows interface plugin and
when I launch VLC, an additional chat window pops up.

Now, I need to associate this window with the chat client code I've
written.

I created a directory called "Chat" in modules/misc, copied my chat code
in there, and modified Modules.am, and such..  I also ran bootstrap and
configure, and it seems like my chat module is added to VLC source tree
fine.

So, here's the part that I'm stuck with.
I understand that I need to have open(), close(), and run() functions in
my chat code. I get that open() and close() are for initialization and
destroy of the plugin, but how about run()?

How does run() get called and by whom? In my chat code, I loop over
read() to constantly keep checking if there's any data available on the
socket. Can I put this code inside run(), and assume that my chat plugin
will run as a separate thread?

I'm doing this on cygwin under win32.

Sooyoung