[vlc-devel] Re: How could I display and stream a H.264-encoded file through VLC?

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Apr 14 12:05:17 CEST 2004

Jakelee,

First use vlc-devel at videolan.org for questions. I am not the right
person to ask about Win32 compiling for VLC. On the e-mail list you will
find the people who do know about that and they can help you better then
I can.

P.S: I forward this e-mail to vlc-devel at videolan.org.

jakelee wrote:
> [...]
> As you said, I had read this setup documents and had done all the process from the beginning through to the end.
>
> I knowed that there were 4 ways to compile the VLC project, and I prefered the way "- natively on Windows, using cygwin".
>
> I have downloaded and run the "setup.exe" app from cygwin's web site(www.cygwin.com). And I have installed at least the
> gcc-g++, gcc-mingw, mingw-runtime and win32-api packages. Moreover, the packages such as bzip2,automake,make are
> also needed, as I knew.
>
> In order to getting the additionnal libraries to provide some features like ac3 audio decoding
> or mpeg4 video decoding, etc... I also downloaded a package with all the libraries already compiled so it is
> actually really easy to compile a full-featured version of vlc
> (these compiled libraries will only work with mingw or cygwin):
> http://download.videolan.org/pub/testing/win32/contrib-20040229-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2
>
> I extracted it in my root directory (C:\cygwin)(the include files and libraries will be put in /usr/win32):
>
> tar xjvf contrib-20040229-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2 -C /
>
> Because I am using cygwin, so I should build VLC with or without the unix emulation layer (without is usually better).
> To build without the emulaion layer, I use some command lines something like this:
>
>   ./bootstrap && \
>   CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" \
>   LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib \
>   CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \
>   ./configure \
>       --disable-sdl --disable-gtk \
>       --enable-nls \
>       --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac \
>       --enable-faad \
>       --enable-flac \
>       --enable-theora \
>       --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
>       --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
>       --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
>       --enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/win32/live.com \
>       --enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
>       --with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
>       --with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
>       --disable-cddax --disable-vcdx \
>       --enable-debug
>
> And after actually compiling the VLC source(Once configured, to build VLC, just run `make'),
> I successfully got a executable file named "vlc.exe".
>
> Yes ,it is very interesting.
> It can display and stream MPEG-2 file "sail2.mpeg", but cannot display and stream H.264-encoded file "test.264".
>
> How could I display and stream a H.264-encoded file through VLC?
> By the way, I use the JVT JM7.6(Joint Vedio Team of ITU-T VCEG and ISO MPEG, Joint Model) to encode a naked file named
> "foreman_qcif.yuv" so as to get a H.264-encoded file named "test.264".
>
> You said that "AFAIK the latest archive (SVN or CVS) has support for H.264."
> What does that mean? How does the H.264-encoded files you said look like?

It does mean that the vlc-0.7.1 tar archive you have downloaded doesn't
have that capability AFAIK. You need the FFMPEG external library, which
VLC uses for H.264 and a lot of other codecs. In the VLC contribs
directory there is usually the uptodate version our project currently
uses for development.

> Thank for your explanation and enthusiastic help.
Glad to be helping.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman