[vlc-devel] Re: Looking for SUSE package maintainer .......

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sun Apr 18 23:02:29 CEST 2004

Brian,

Great that you volunteer for the task of SUSE package maintainer. Most
of the work would be to compile, package and test for SUSE packages. And
that is a hell of a job ;-).

I suggest you start out with the RedHat RPM packages and adapt them to
work also on SUSE (if possible though). Then start creating packages for
ALL the additional libraries needed by VLC. See the
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download_redhat.html for an idea of how many
packages and dependencies to tackle.

Brian wrote:

>I noticed the posting looking for a SUSE package maintainer.  I fear
>that I am far to ignorant for the position, but thought I would look
>into exactly what I would need to do.  I do software development(
>although not in C) and have been using and administering Linux boxes for
>2-3 years.  I am proficient at and prefer CLI, but not an expert.

A bit of C skill and system administration is needed for this job. I
think you will do fine.

>If some one can let me know what all I would need to do, and perhaps
>point me towards some documentation I would be willing to take a whack
>at it.

Don't be afraid to ask help to this community. We always try to help and
give suggestions.

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

Consultant
VLC iPAQ maintainer                    http://www.videolan.org
RedHat Certified Engineer         RHCE number: 807202745005548