[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r7375 (hartman)

Felix Kühne fk at aenneburghardt.de
Mon Apr 19 14:56:32 CEST 2004

> * OpenGL video output is now the default on OS X.
>   I'm not aware of any REAL problems with the openGL output
>   please report your experiences.

On macs who does not have enough VRAM, this output does not work at
all. It stays black and the messages-window shows a bunch of
dropping-frame-messages.
This applies especially for all macs with Rage128 Pro (including all
coloured iMacs) graphic cards, which are still in use quite often and
are able to play files with VLC with the normal output without any
problems. I think that likely every mac who is able to run Quartz
Extreme is able to run the OpenGL output, but the others are not.
In my opinion, it is not very user-friendly that people who could use
VLC out-of-the-box previously, now would have to open their Preferences
and change the output-module. I think that this would trigger quite a
lot of user-questions, why the display of the videos does not run on
their computer anymore.
If possible, it would be nice if the OSX-port could check, if the
computer has enough VRAM or Quartz Extreme is running, before using the
OpenGL-output by default. So, the normal output could be used if
needed.

Best regards,
Felix