[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r7375 (hartman)

Felix Kühne fk at aenneburghardt.de
Thu Apr 22 20:22:00 CEST 2004

On 04/19/2004 at 5:20, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> On 19 apr 2004, at 14:56, Felix Kühne wrote:
>>> * OpenGL video output is now the default on OS X.
>>>   I'm not aware of any REAL problems with the openGL output
>>>   please report your experiences.
>>
>> On macs who does not have enough VRAM, this output does not work at
>> all. It stays black and the messages-window shows a bunch of
>> dropping-frame-messages.
>> This applies especially for all macs with Rage128 Pro (including all
>> coloured iMacs) graphic cards, which are still in use quite often and
>> are able to play files with VLC with the normal output without any
>> problems. I think that likely every mac who is able to run Quartz
>> Extreme is able to run the OpenGL output, but the others are not.
>> In my opinion, it is not very user-friendly that people who could use
>> VLC out-of-the-box previously, now would have to open their
>> Preferences and change the output-module. I think that this would
>> trigger quite a lot of user-questions, why the display of the videos
>> does not run on their computer anymore.
>> If possible, it would be nice if the OSX-port could check, if the
>> computer has enough VRAM or Quartz Extreme is running, before using
>> the OpenGL-output by default. So, the normal output could be used if
>> needed.
>
> CGDisplayUsesOpenGLAcceleration()
> can check for Quartz Extreme presence.
>
> There is also no multi monitor support, but i wouldn't be able to test
> that either..

Are you able to compile the vout.m-file you've commited on the 20th?
I'm getting an internal compiler error every time I try. I'm using g++
3.3 (normal Apple-Devel-Kit for Panther) and OSX 10.3.3.

Here is the error-log:
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../..
-I/Users/felix/Desktop/Programming/VLC/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/include
-DSYS_DARWIN -I../../../include `top_builddir="../../.."
../../../vlc-config --objcflags builtin macosx` -Wsign-compare -Wall
-I/Users/felix/Desktop/Programming/VLC/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/include
-no-cpp-precomp -D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS -finline-limit-30000 -pipe -c
-o libmacosx_a-vout.o `test -f 'vout.m' || echo './'`vout.m
In file included from
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/
CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CGBitmapContext.h:10,
                  from
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/
CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CoreGraphics.h:13,
                  from
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/
QD.framework/Headers/QD.h:25,
                  from
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/
ApplicationServices.h:30,
                  from
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:24,
                  from
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Headers/QuickTime.h:20,
                  from vout.m:35:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/
CoreGraphics.framework/Headers/CGContext.h:-101134: internal compiler
error: Bus error
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter> for instructions.
{standard input}:10:FATAL:.abort  detected.  Assembly stopping.
make[6]: *** [libmacosx_a-vout.o] Error 1
make[5]: *** [all-modules] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1