[vlc-devel] Re: compile vlc on the windows platform

Matthew Fullerton matt at vision.eri.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 2 21:20:58 CET 2004

I am sending this to both lists as you posted seperate messages to each
list, but they are best dealt with at once.

libmpeg2 compiles very well on Visual C++. Just use the
project/workspace files provided. You will need directX installed (all
modern versions of windows).

As for VLC, I have found cross-compiling on linux the best option, but
many people use an environment known as cygwin to compile it on windows.
Do not attempt to use VC++ to build VLC!!!

Useful documents for you:
A general guide to compiling VLC for windows:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/vlc/INSTALL.win32
A VERY useful guide to compiling VLC using cygwin. I found this A LOT
more helpful than the general instructions when using cygwin:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/CygwinCompileEnvironmentRevB.pdf

As mentioned on another reply you will find these documents and lots
more on the VLC developer page http://developers.videolan.org/vlc. Most
helpful documents for libmpeg2 itself are contained within its source
tree that I am sure you have by now downloaded.

All the best with it!
matt