[vlc-devel] h264 streaming using rtp/rtsp

Hussain conundrums at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:29:56 CET 2004

Hello.

I would like to stream h.264 encoded video content using rtp/rtsp from
the Darwin server, and would like to play it back using VLC. My
questions are

1. In VLC, do I need to amend the livedotcom.cpp code , (found in
modules/demux)  only, or are there other codes I would need to amend
as well? As the SVN repository is down, I have not been able to get
hold of the latest VLC codes, and the ones I currently have are about
a 2 months old, so I have not been able to go through the latest
codes. Thus am not sure what provisions have already been made to
stream h264 encoded video content.

2.  I did download the latest live.com codes today, and it seems I
would need to add modules in order to stream h.264 content. If I
understood things properly I would need to create h264RTPSource, and
h264RTPSink classes. Is this correct? Would I need to make any other
changes?

Any advice, and/or comments on what would be the best  (and hopefully
the quickest :P ) way to go about implementing this would be really
appreciated.

Also just in case you were wondering,  the h.264 rtp implementation is
being based on an rtp draft which can be found at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-h264-11.txt

Thanks for the help.

Hussain