[vlc-devel] Compile with gcc 3.4 fails

Marius Kjeldahl marius at kjeldahl.net
Thu Dec 9 15:49:20 CET 2004

I get errors such as:

playlist.cpp: In member function `wxMenu* wxvlc::Playlist::SDMenu()':
playlist.cpp:1351: error: ISO C++ forbids cast to non-reference type
used as lvalue
playlist.cpp:1351: error: ISO C++ forbids cast to non-reference type
used as lvalue

The offending line contains:

             INSERT_ELEM( (void**)pp_sds, i_number, i_number,
                          (void*)p_parser->psz_shortname );

I googled for it, and found the following advice when compiling with gcc
3.4:

"use -fpermissive, and these errors will change to warnings"

I can easily fix it locally, but I do not know the autoconf stuff well
enough to make sure it gets put into the right place.

Regards,

Marius Kjeldahl