[vlc-devel] Re: SIP and VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Dec 17 03:53:35 CET 2004

> > hello , I'm trying to use a SIP server with VLC and I don't know if
> > you have made this....I have a sip server called SER(www.iptel.org)
> > and I don't know if can I do it?... do I need anytihng???
> >

>Well, AFAIK, SIP has never been implemented in VLC, at least not in the
>main tree...

However, it would be quite easy to modify VLC to play "sip:" URLs -
especially as a one-way media stream, i.e., receiving only.  The reason for
this is that the LIVE.COM library (which is already used for RTSP client
support) also has SIP client support.

This has already been done for MPlayer.  See "libmpdemux/demux_rtp.cpp" in
the MPlayer source code (& grep for "SIP").

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>