[vlc-devel] Re: vlc streaming / udp multicast performance

Marius Kjeldahl marius at kjeldahl.net
Thu Dec 30 03:00:09 CET 2004

Mark Moriarty wrote:

 > Not sure, but things may be confused due to your address selection:
 > 224.0.1.0 - 224.0.1.255  (224.0.1/24) Internetwork Control Block

Trying a couple of the suggested range of addresses (I tested with
239.192.0.1 and 239.0.0.1) did not change anything; I still see the
video, but with lots of noise and green squares (I guess this indicates
a lot of data is not getting through).

Måns Rullgård wrote:

 > Are you by any chance using a wireless LAN?  Multicast and WLANs do
 > not always play well, and may need special tuning of the access points
 > to work at all.
 >
 > The obvious question: have you tried other clients and/or other
 > servers?

Well, I have a wireless LAN I have tested with as well, but everything
is tested outside of the wireless LAN first. My wlan is on a different
subnet. Same symptoms on the WLAN - if I do not use multicast, even the
WLAN connected computer more or less displays the video more or less
fine (well, some noise and/or packet loss but very little compared to
what I get when using multicast). But everything is tested on a 100mbit
ethernet as well (both server and client on the same switch), and the
results are more or less the same. I know from experience that the WLAN
has less bandwidth, but a stream directly to the wlan connected computer
looks crystal clear compared to a multicast on the cabled subnet.

Regarding clients; I've tested with xine on a linux computer, and it
receives data but spends most of it's time buffering (guess it has
aggressive buffering by default). But I can still see bits and pieces of
the multicasted video inbetween. Mplayer does not seem to support the
"raw" udp stream.

Regarding servers; care to mention any that is available free of charge
on linux? I haven't found any...

Ted Deppner wrote:

 > where's the @?  should be vlc udp:@224.0.1.1:1234.  As the other
 > poster said, some 224.0. stuff is reserved... try 225.0.1.1.

You are right. Forgot it when posting here, but had it in when testing.

Thanks,

Marius K.