[vlc-devel] Re: RFC: vout system (Also long)

Anatoly R. emulynx at delfi.lv
Sun Feb 1 18:23:07 CET 2004

Hello R.,

RB> Anatoly R. writes:
 >> Sony Playstation uses dozens of video formats.
 >> It uses dozens of texture types.
 >> In order to emulate it you need to convert them to current colorspace.
 >>
 >> I can't really point you where are the routines because I never tried
 >> to dive into their sources. I suspect that [links]

RB> Okay, I just looked using the suggested starting places. It looks like
RB> they use OpenGL for which there are many implementations and libraries
RB> available depending on the OS.

RB> My guess is that using an OpenGL framework would be preferable than
RB> something based on libpng. vlc right now doesn't make use of OpenGL,
RB> right?

RB> Anyway, I have a feeling redoing things whether using OpenGL or not
RB> will be major (but probably useful) work.

A bit wrong. There are dozens of plugins for different OSes
(crossplatform too), 3d subsystems (dga (afair), dx, opengl,
glide, sdl) only couple of them are open-source.
PEOPS is an open source 2D gfx plugin which might use SDL for gfx
output.

--
Best regards,
 Anatoly                            mailto:emulynx at ml.lv
WARNING!!! MY EMAIL WILL BE CHANGED IN APRIL TO LYNX SOBAKA "ML" DOT LV