[vlc-devel] Re: [ANN] VLC-0.7.1-test1

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Feb 11 13:26:46 CET 2004

Arwed von Merkatz writes:
 > On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:07:15PM +0100, Gildas Bazin wrote:
 > If i want to play audio cds, i have to manually tell it to play specific
 > tracks with an MRL like cddax:///dev/cdrom@T1, if i just give it
 > cddax:///dev/cdrom it hangs without doing anything.

Given the MRL, you are using it sounds like you are using the libcdio
version. There is some documentation on this in vlc/doc/intf-cdda.txt.
Based on the lack of detail of the report above I've just updated this
text in CVS so it might be good to refresh with the most recent info.

You can get extensive debug information for this plugin by setting
cddax-debug to 255. See the above doc for what 255 means. If nothing
else it should give you some idea of what it has been doing or what
was done. It's possible for example that you are getting stuck in CDDB
lookup and might want to disable CDDB lookups or set various CDDB
variables accordingly for your situation.

 > Another problem related to CD playing is that when the given cdrom
 > device doesn't exist vlc segfaults.
 >
 > --
 > Arwed v. Merkatz
 > Grimoire Guru for video
 > Grimoire Guru for xfce
 > Sourcemage GNU/Linux
 > http://www.sourcemage.org

When something segfaults it's usually useful to have a stack trace.
This is sort of a general-problem reporting thing.  Other general-
problem reporting things are messages that might have appeared in the
logs, There is a message log and you can request more detailed
messages by setting the verbosity to 2, the OS you were using (I guess
GNU/Linux but it's nicer for you to specify it than have someone who
might be in a position to help guess this, perhaps incorrectly). For
this plugin it would also be interesting to know what versions of
libcdio and/or libcddb used which you can get with:

  pkg-config libcdio --modversion
  pkg-config libcddb --modversion

This