[vlc-devel] Re: Building on MacOS X (for surround debuging)

Jean-Alexis Montignies ja at sente.ch
Thu Feb 19 11:23:39 CET 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:57:07 +0100
  Derk-Jan Hartman <hartman at videolan.org> wrote:
>On 18 feb 2004, at 15:09, Jean-Alexis Montignies wrote:
>> Hi, Bonjour,
>>
>> I'd like to take a look at the bug reports 1765 (I initiated) and 1421
>> which I think is related.
>>
>> Is the build bootstrap system up to date?
>> http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/devtools/macosx-usr-local.tar.bz2
>> (Christophe Massiot did put it initially).
>>
>> I didn't try the 0.7.1 test version but I guess audio support did not
>> change.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Jean-Alexis
>
>Hi good to have someone else on board willing to look into this.
>
>We no longer use /macosx-usr-local.tar.bz2 in 0.7.0 and higher.
>You can read about the new procedure here:
>http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html

Ok, I tried that, but of course I missed many of the required frameworks :).
So it'll take some time until I have a can start on it. Especially, I don't
have a decent internet connection currently.

>What i know so far of the issue.
>
>- On the G5 we need to take hog before changing streams..
This is only to switch to/from encoded streams which cannot be mixed by
CoreAudio.
I don't have a G5 to check this.

>- VLC does a lot of Device selection etc, but it's not 100% correct. I
>believe we should just use the default output.
We'll still need a selection for the kind of output we want (stereo downmix,
Dolby Prologic downmix, surround, untouched digital output).

Ideally we should use the settings in AudioMidi setup for the stereo/surround
ouputs for which outputs to use. But this would work only from Panther (or
Jaguar).

>- The portaudio project is running into the same problems.
>http://techweb.rfa.org/pipermail/portaudio/2004-February/003093.html
>they also seem to be a long way to fixing the issue. I think we should adopt
>their code.

>- They don't have s/pdif support. This is the big mystery. There is no
>documentation available on what is allowed or required when setting the
>digital mode of a device. We are definitely doing something illegal here.
The interface I have don't have hog mode, it has digital outs but only
supports PCM.
But even on this interface, stream selection doesn't work (all streams are
available at the same time, so no switching is even required).

>I also have some code that is a bit more barebones and correct than what is
>in CVS, but not nearly finished.
Ok, I'll let you now when I can compile everything.

Jean-Alexis