[vlc-devel] Pending subtitle and graphics-related things

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sun Jan 4 19:55:41 CET 2004

I've just made the changes so that the VCD subtitle plugins modules
will get built. Below are some things in the fallout of this. In
short, the topics are: writing PNG files, merging DVD subtitle code
in, and an aspect-ratio retrieval routine.

PNG -
A routine was added to dump a RGB pixel map to a file via libpng.
Right now this in modules/codec/ogt/write_png.{c,h}. Some good VLC
hacker may want to do whatever steps are needed to make this a module
or put it whereever it would more appropriately be placed. (If not, it
can stay where it is.)

DVD Subtitles -
With some small changes to expand pixel run lengths, the DVD subtitle
code could probably be made to dump subtitles to PNG files. In
addition with the change, DVD subtitles might benefit from using the
RenderI420 routine from OGT which handles blending in the UV planes.

Aspect Ratio -
Right now I've hard-coded an aspect-ratio to the subtitle
scaling. I'll need a routine to retrieve the aspect ratio for a
vout thread. (The routine GCD routine ReduceHeight in
src/video_output/video_output.c does most of the work.)

I welcome suggestions as to what to call and where to put. Or better
just do it. However if I don't get a response, I'll just do what I
think best.

- - -

Lastly, I'll probably be changing my focus a little towards improving
libcdio for Win32 (better ASPI support) and possibly getting out a
long-overdue vcdimager 0.7.20 release.