[vlc-devel] Should MRL's allow audio/subtitle specification?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Mon Jan 5 05:26:48 CET 2004

Now that VCD subtitles are working, I noticed it is a little awkward
to specify what subtitle to use and have been considering adding this
to the MRL which might for example be useful in a playlist.

Right now one can set the subtitle via --spu-channel which is not
listed in a simple "vlc --help", only as an "advanced" help and I'm
not sure it should be that way. Alternatively one can change it via
"set preferences" but oddly, saving this doesn't work since the entry
in vlcrc is commented out.

I also considered putting in the "open disc" menu something to specify
the audio language and subtitle. But again this would be best done in
conjunction with setting it in the MRL.

Thoughts and comments?