[vlc-devel] Removing duplicated DVD input modules.

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sun Jan 25 20:13:56 CET 2004

Hi people,

We currently have 4 different DVD input modules:

- dvdsimple: our very first dvd input which doesn't use any external
libraries except libdvdcss. This input doesn't support menus but is useful
when streaming or if you don't want to bother with menus.
- dvdread: is basically the same as dvdsimple but uses libdvdread instead of
using our own UDF/IFO parser. No menus support either.
- dvdplay: our first DVD input with menus support. This module uses
libdvdplay which hasn't been maintained for almost a couple of years. This
module aslo has stability issues.
- dvdnav: our brand new DVD input with menus support which uses libdvdnav.
libdvdnav has the advantage of being actively maintained and even though
our plugin still lacks a few features, it does appear to be quite stable.

That's really quite a bit of duplicated code so I'd like to keep only 2 such
inputs.
I'd like to first get rid of the dvdread module while keeping dvdsimple and
when the dvdnav plugin is mature enough I'd also like to remove dvdplay.
Anybody against this ?

--
Gildas