[vlc-devel] Re: Strange Header Problem Compiling for MS Visual C 6

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Tue Jan 27 19:23:56 CET 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 18:59, Javawizard at aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>    I believe that's INSTALL.win32 that you're referring to. The best I can
> tell, it's saying that it is impossible to build all the library files and
then
> VLC, but I think it may be possible to build VLC if the libraries are
already
> built - which I did with a Linux cross-compile for Windows. But, if you
(or
> anyone) knows otherwise, please let me know and save me a lot of work! :)
> Tnx,

A vlc.exe compiled with MSVC won't be able to use the plugins compiled with
mingw. Mainly because the plugins contain a version string that is looked
up when loading them and they don't match for the MSVC build and the mingw
build. But also because it is likely that some modules compiled with mingw
won't be binary compatible with a vlc compiled with mingw... worth a try
though.

To change the version string, have a look at msvc/config.h and change the
following lines to be the same then with the mingw build:
/* String suffix for module functions */
#define MODULE_SUFFIX "__ at SYMBOL@"
/* Symbol suffix for module functions */
#define MODULE_SYMBOL @SYMBOL@

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas