[vlc-devel] Re: Update: Mac OS X audio patch (also questions on audio sync)

Jean-Alexis Montignies ja at sente.ch
Wed Jul 7 13:34:41 CEST 2004

Hi Derk,

VLC should work on a G5 at least for PCM output (no hog mode required
here).

I did notice that in all versions of VLC, sometimes the sound is
chopped. The work around is to disable then enable the audio track from
the menu.

I'm not sure but it may be because changing streams in coreaudio is
asynchronous (so you should wait for the notification to come to be
sure the stream have changed). I don't think the current VLC coreaudio
driver does this.

I think it's not related to  the recent changes in coreaudio. The Mark
Well's version behave exactly the same way in this regard.

I'm not convinced that changing the sample rate is a user friendly
feature by default. For me it's more of an annoyance.
In fact my MOTU is synced to my CD player whose clock is at 44.1. And
running VLC when it thinks the interface is at 48khz but it's in fact
at 44.1 does not work very well. So I have to switch manually the clock
sources anyway.

It should, I think the audio resync algorithm from VLC is not very
good. In fact even with the internal clock source at 48, maybe once or
twice in a hour I get an accelerated sound for 1 second.
How VLC does when the output is AC3 as it can not resample?

Jean-Alexis
http://www.sente.ch/