[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Re: Sorenson Media

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sun Jul 11 16:56:42 CEST 2004

Hallo,

He was talking about promoting, not so much distributing I think. I would
also like to note that VLC's H.264 support is of course based on the ffmpeg
library.

First since it is concerning H.264 AND VLC I think it would be a good thing
to have a focus on streaming with these two technologies. There isn't much
stuff out there that can do this atm (QTSS 7.0 alpha probably). VLC is
furthermore a very versatile program that can allow you to combine this
capability with a number of possible exciting options (web interface,
transcoding, etc). A special eye catcher can be for instance streaming H.264
to a WinCE device. (Not sure how well this works on a Mobile device atm).
And of course a clear focal point should be VLC's platform independance.
Running on Mac, Win, Linux, BSD and mobile devices is a big boon for a
single product I think something which is too little realized by many folks.

These are major selling points of the VLC technology and as such allow for
drawing attention to VLC. Support and promotion by a company in this is
likely very welcomed by the VL team, because we usually spent more time
working on VLC then promoting ourselves.

There are of course some pitfalls. Until now we have been quite "free" as
programmers in what we do with VLC. I have a suspicion that being promoted
more will also require us to pay more attention to stability and User
Friendlyness, because the expectations will be higher. Something I
personally would welcome very much, but also something that is very
difficult for us to achief, because we don't really have the people suited
for this, nor the manpower. Hopefully more attention and more popularity
will also attract more developers with a larger range of capabilities (not
so much technical, but also design and testing wise), but I do see the need
for a bit more professionalisation in our immenant future to tackle these
problems.

There is also another point that is of interest and that is the legality and
licensing issues. As far as I know there is no licensing settled for AVC yet
(though there is for MPEG4). However in trusting that a similar arrangement
is made for AVC as there is for MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, we may need to put this
information clearer in our distribution files.

http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id2785322

That's my 2 cents.

---
Derk-Jan Hartman