[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r8284 (gbazin)

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 16:13:26 CEST 2004

 WinXP, fully patched, current SVN build, 2.6GHz Intel P4.
I tried using the screen: function, UDP output.
High CPU utilization, variable but generally stayiung between 45 - 80%.
Very rapid, very large, memory leak -- hundreds of megabytes growth per
minute.

This is similar to what I saw with an Osprey framegrabber in a slower 800
MHz Win2K PC, a separate thread series.

Is there some chance that there is a "marshmallow mountain" effect, that if
frames are being served to the ffmpeg CODEC engine faster than they can be
processed a queue, just gets larger and larger?

Anyhow, for Windows screen, perhaps an option to decimate the input, a
straight /2 in both width and height, would cut the input by a factor of 4,
perhaps help a large amount.

The GPL'd RealVNC does pretty well on Windows, screen capture/manipulation
functions in it might map well to VLC, handles different screen
bits-per-pixel, and I believe has things related to multi-monitor
implementations (they've had several years experience, a lot of
lessons-learned).  The VNC windows source code germane to this is in
sdisplay and deviceframebuffer.