[vlc-devel] Re: Packetizing before decoding: vlc-0.7.2

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Wed Jul 28 23:58:14 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 18:47, Manuel P. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have been reading part of vlc-0.7.0 source code for the lasts months.
Now, I am reading vlc-0.7.2 source code.
> I have noticed a difference between vlc-0.7.0 and vlc-0.7.2: In vlc-0.7.2
there is the possibility of packetizing a ES before decoding it, but in
vlc-0.7.0 there was not that possibility. Could you put me an example of
something that did not work in vlc-0.7.0, but now, with this change, will
work in vlc-0.7.2?

libfaad for instance doesn't like being fed with partial AAC frames.
Unfortunately there are MPEG TS streams with AAC audio out there where PES
packets only contain partial AAC frames, which was triggering annoying
segfaults. Packetizing the AAC ES before feeding it to libfaad fixes the
problem.

There are a few other cases where this facility is also useful.

--
Gildas