[vlc-devel] FC2 Compiling Problems

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sun Jun 6 00:43:07 CEST 2004

Jason Luka writes:
 > Alright.  I'm finally get off my butt and compiling a Red Hat VLC.  So,
 > if anyone can help me patch this up, it'd be appreciated.  My libcdio is
 > 0.67, libcddb is 0.9.4-1, libvcd is a cvs of 0.7.20 .

Okay. Let's look at the message:

 > checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
 > checking for libcdio >= 0.65... Package libcdio was not found in the
 > pkg-config search path.
 > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libcdio.pc'
 > No package 'libcdio' found

Well when you do "slocate libcdio.pc", --"libcdio.pc" is mentioned in
message above -- do you get something?  ("slocate" is like "find /
-name libcdio.pc -ls". I have it in an RPM called "slocate")

Let's say /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libcdio.pc comes back. Then
following the suggestion in the message, add /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable. For example

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

or perhaps:

setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

If on the other hand libcdio.pc isn't found, then I doubt you've got
libcdio installed. Same for libcddb, libvcdinfo.

By the way, libcdio-0.68 (not 0.67) is the latest libcdio. libcdio
0.69 should be coming out soon and it will have a couple of important
fixes. And although this is not relevant to you, it will finally have
OS X and FreeBSD support working well enough that vlc might
contemplate removing the non-libcido cdda and vcd modules.