[vlc-devel] SVG plugin

Olivier Aubert oaubert at lisi.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Jun 9 17:24:48 CEST 2004

Hello

I would like to propose a SVG plugin (already proposed some months ago),
that I updated to the last vlc-trunk API. What use ? I need it to
display graphical elements on the screen (arrows for pointing at
persons, rectangles to frame objects, etc). But it can also be used as a
way to specify the rendering style of subtitles.

Indeed, as it is a text renderer, it will convert data that is not SVG
to SVG using a (user-specifiable) template. Rendering your subtitles in
green with a red frame around them is only a matter of editing a SVG
template like the following:

<svg version='1' preserveAspectRatio="xMinYMin meet" viewBox='0 0 800 600'>
 <text x='10' y='590' fill="green" font-size="32" font-family="sans-serif">
 %s
 </text>
 <rect x='5' y='550' width='783' height='43' fill='none' stroke='red' />
</svg>

With a minimal amount of work, it could use the rendering styles
attribute of the text rendering API (it is only a matter of replacing
pieces of text in the SVG template).

I am aware of the video_widget OSD development. However, it looks to me
like reinventing the wheel: after the existing primitives (lines,
rectangles, etc) will come the need for more advanced features and I do
not want to implement a complete drawing API if there is already
something that works.

The code and Debian packages are available at
http://liris.cnrs.fr/~advene/download/index_en.html

Do the VLC developpers
a) would like to see it integrated [1]
b) feel that it is better outside
c) don't give a damn
d) feel like going on vacation
e) other ?

Olivier

[1] This module is simple, so, promise, it will not break the whole VLC
tree.