[vlc-devel] dvdsimple/dvdread problems

Olivier Aubert oaubert at lisi.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Jun 17 11:20:16 CEST 2004

Hello

I need to make an intensive use of navigation in DVDs, and it puts a
serious stress on the access modules, which exhibit some bugs (note: the
tests were done with vlc debian packages v. 0.7.2.final-1) :

1- The dvdread vlc module is broken for all questions related to time.
It looks like it inserts an offset on chapter breaks, which makes time
jump. For instance, on Mulholland Drive, the time display goes directly
from 8:44 to 10:47.
It also reports a wrong movie length: for Mulholland Drive, it gives
2:22:25 instead of 02:20:33.23 (as reported by chaplin).

I think it is vlc-related, as xine, which also uses libdvdread, does not
show this problem (no time jump and correct movie length).

2- the dvdsimple is a little better, but also reports a wrong movie
length (same as dvdread). It is also very unstable. When navigating a
bit, it crashes the video output (but the audio is still playing) either
with no output at all, or with the following messages:

[00000222] main video output error: picture 0x85d409c refcount is -1
[00000222] main video output error: picture to date 0x85d4324 has invalid status 6
[00000222] main video output error: picture to display 0x85d4324 has invalid status 6
[00000222] main video output error: picture 0x85d4324 refcount is -1
[00000222] main video output error: picture 0x85d4324 refcount is -1

I made the same kind of tests with xine, and it behaved correctly (no
crash and very responsive).

Olivier