[vlc-devel] Modify IP ToS for B pictures

Xavier Grandmougin xavier.grandmougin at loria.fr
Tue Jun 22 19:37:28 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm working on integrating (m,k)-firm real-time garantees into the
Internet QoS model. A part of this project consist of modifying the IP
ToS byte of the packets which transport the B pictures (to notify the
router that it can drop these non-critical packets in case of it is
overloaded).

Practically, I send a MPEG-1 / RTP flow and I'm trying to understand
how, just before sending the packets, to know which type of image is
about to be sent (I, P or B) ; if it is a B one, I want to put a special
value in the ToS byte.

I looked at vlc-trunk/modules/stream_out/rtp.c, and tried to modify
vlc-trunk/modules/access_output/udp.c : in the static void ThreadWrite
function, just before

send( p_thread->i_handle, p_pk->p_buffer, p_pk->i_buffer, 0 );

I wrote something like :

if ( ((p_pk->p_buffer[14]) & 0x07) == 3)
{
            // B pictures
            int optval=1;
            setsockopt(p_thread->i_handle, IPPROTO_IP, IP_TOS,
                       (void *)&optval, sizeof(optval));
}

But it doesn't seem to work... where is my mistake ? Do you think I'm on
the (a) right way ? Thanx in advance for your help,

Xavier Grandmougin