[vlc-devel] Re: your vlc audio patch

Mark Wells mark.wells at oxsemi.com
Thu Jun 24 15:58:01 CEST 2004

Matt,

Thanks for your reply, it helps to explain my situation pretty well. So
if I isolate a specific audio format (eg 6-channel) by commenting-out
all the other support (except mono) then the AC3 stream plays
perfectly. I *think* that once specific format selection works (ie once
the menus successfully allow you to change between stereo, 5.1, 7.1
etc) then this problem will disappear.

To answer your question, I'm testing using one of our own devices, the
OXFW970 (http://www.oxsemi.com/press/jan04/index2.html).

An update so far, for anyone interested.....

I notice that in ChannelsToAoutVar there is a 5-channel support option
(3 Front 2 Rear) however there is no initial 5 channel PCM support
available to complement this! So I have added this, and opened the
correct physical channels. The channel allocation seems to be all wrong
tho, as main audio comes out of channel 1 (front left). 2&3 and 4&5 are
the stereo pairs, but I havent figured out which pair is front/surround
yet.

Further, if I play 5-channel content in a 6-channel environment then
channel 4 is empty, channel 5 plays what was in channel 4, and channel
6 plays what was in channel 5 (compared with the 5-channel
environment). Playing 5-channel content in an 8-channel environment
reverts back to the configuration in the 5-channel environment, but
duplicates channels 1-3 on 6-8. Channel-duplication is annoying but
tolerable. However channel-switching is not tolerable! im working on
it!

Mark