[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] VLC real-time conferencing development

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Mar 5 13:32:31 CET 2004

> We plan to use H323 protocol over RTP to be compatible with others
> softwares.
> The H263 library (used for H323 video with the H261 library) is also already
> developped (even if we have trouble to use it at this moment).
H.263 is, as far as I know supported (both decode and encode) in vlc
allready through ffmpeg. What I want to know if your stuff can decode h.261.
As there are h.261 streams out there that I can't watch with vlc.

Last time I investigated this issue I found two codebases for h.261
decoding/encoding. Both were very old, unsupported and ugly looking. The
source was open, but I couldn't figure out it's license. All newer projects
I could find with h.261 support used some ofspin of these projects
(including mpeg4ip and openh323)

If you can enlighten me on this I would be happy.

Sigmund Augdal