[vlc-devel] Re: Prefs UI?

Tim Omernick timo at omnigroup.com
Wed Mar 10 18:57:25 CET 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 5:31 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

>> DJ,
>>
>> I'd like to rework VLC's preferences window so that it's a lot more
>> user friendly and approachable.  I was thinking we could make it more
>> like the preferences panel in Safari, Mail, etc., with a toolbar on
>> the top, with icons for each category.
>
> I love the idea :)
> But who is going to create the icons?
> What are the most used preferences? I think this might be a bit
> difficult to determine, but possible.

I was actually thinking we could take some subset of the preferences
which are visible when the "Advanced" button is not checked, and create
some nice UI for those in the new categories.  If any of the "Advanced"
preferences are as commonly used as the "Basic" ones, then they should
probably not be considered "Advanced".

I have no idea who is going to create the icons.  Is there not a
graphics designer on this list?  If there isn't, we could ask around on
some forums.  I'm sure someone would be glad to help out.

> - move the playlistwindow into the controller like with iTunes.
> probably use a NSView that gets resized/(un)loaded when checking the
> green button.

I would really love to work on this.  An iTunes interface for movies
would be incredibly useful for people with large video collections.  I
should probably talk with Steven Woodward about this, since he also
seems interested, judging from a recent post of his on the MacNN
forums.

-t