[vlc-devel] Re: To OSX developers - Some questions, and my currentstatus

Bob Maguire maguirer at rjmaguire.com
Wed Mar 10 23:44:47 CET 2004

I'm a newcomer to this list, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.  I had used
VLC before but never considered it a viable alternative to QT or Mplayer.
That was until a couple weeks ago when I finally got my ATI 8500 card to
run a display on my TV (after a year or more on/off of trying).  Mplayer
couldn't display full screen on it and QT isn't exactly a full-featured
player.  I revisited VLC and found it to have improved greatly.  I go to
MacNN to post some questions and find DJ's post about taking a break from
VLC OSX development.  What timing!

A few days ago, I installed subversion and grabbed the latest source for
VLC and had a go at building it.  Monday night I finally got it to compile
after some jiggery-pokery, and have tried tinkering a bit with the OSX gui
module.  My first goal was to fix the shortcoming of needing the player
window to have the focus for any of the hotkeys to work beyond just the
basic ones.

I like the jump by 1 or 5 minute increments and the time elapsed hotkeys,
but they only worked if I clicked on the player window first.  I've been
thinking of getting an ATI Remote Wonder, but would want hotkeys that
would work application wide (like the jump 10 seconds forward/backward
(aka "Step Forward"/"Step Backward") controls).  I modified intf and
controls, and updated the .nib for the new actions and everything works!

I'd love to be able to commit this (or just post the patches), but from
the sounds of it, someone else would need to link up the connections in
the .nib.

Bob Maguire