[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Re: vlc --H -advanced

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon May 3 19:48:15 CEST 2004

On 03 mei 2004, at 19:15, Michael S. Zick wrote:

> On Mon May 3 2004 09:43, Balint Laszlo BILLER wrote:
>>> Hello!  vlc --H -advanced
>>> generates unreadable characters.
>>
>> server01:~# vlc --H -advanced
>> VLC media player 0.7.1 Bond
>> vlc: unknown option `--H'
>> Try `vlc --help' for more information.
>>
>> I think it's 100% readable pure english...
> Ah, but if the user's locale is Japan...
> Perhaps that "wrist slap" message hasn't
> been translated.
> Mike

Actually it is. This is a very interesting problem. It's also covers
the problem with "Cannot set locale..." message at VLC startup on
windows (described in the forums).

The autodetected language is different than the language people want to
use (english).
The preferences or --language setting is only set when the prefs are
being read (which is much later in the total process)

So people running on a Japanese system first get a Japanese VLC startup
message. On windows this japanese or chinese language may not be
installed (gettext bug for discovering the locale) and create the
"cannot set locale..." message. On linux you can be running from a
terminal that doesn't support the language (ascii only) which may
potentially result in complete unrecognizable characters.

After this --language will set English for example, and the rest of the
strings will be translated correctly.
I think that maybe we shouldn't translate strings that are printed
before the prefs are read??? they are mostly debug strings anyways
so...

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente