[vlc-devel] Re: compiling modules

Matthew Romaine Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com
Tue May 18 03:32:29 CEST 2004

Thanks for your comments, Derk-Jan.  Most likely due to the asynchrony
of email, I don't think my situation is getting across clearly.

1) I cannot use subversion directly without ssh because I am behind a
firewall with strict proxy settings
2) my last attempt at grabbing the latest svn repository using ssh
resulted in a password-protected login screen

I downloaded the latest snapshot as suggested by Gildas, but this
breaks the "subversion and contrib" system suggested below, as the
snapshot doesn't seem to include a "vlc/extras/contrib/" folder with a
README.  Hence, I'm still not certain of the complete process to
integrate the compile of a new module.

Turns out there are a number of changes I'm having to make, to codecs.h
and demux/wav.c in particular, to add correct support for
WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE.  What is already there (at least, from snapshot
20040509) doesn't seem to use the SubFormat GUID correctly. I'll post
my changes after I finish testing them, at which point perhaps we can
talk about repository access.

matt

On 2004/05/18, at 0:25, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> You should really use subversion and the contrib system
>
> http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html
>

> DJ
>
> Matthew Romaine wrote:
>> Folks,
>> Sorry for all the newbie questions; VLC is a fantastic project and
>> I'm thoroughly impressed with what you guys have done.  There's just
>> a lot wrap my head around!
>> I've been trying to compile my own module following the instructions
>> on modifying Modules.am under modules/codec, as well as adding an
>> entry in AX_ADD_PLUGINS, but looking at the Makefile lines for the
>> other codecs I'm guessing I need to add more information.  Is there a
>> more detailed explanation of the changes needed, or am I to just
>> cut/paste and follow a similar module's entries?  I'm assuming
>> modifying configure.ac is the way to go...
>> Also, for those using OSX, the source for vlc-0.7.1, and wanting to
>> compile their own modules, I had to upgrade automake and autoconf so
>> that aclocal could regenerate configure.in files incorporating my own
>> module.  Unfortunately the upgrades seemed to generate a broken
>> configure, so simply typing "make" spits out the error:
>> $ make
>> srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-includes
>> srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-includes
>> srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-includes
>> cd . && /bin/sh
>> /Users/mromaine/code_bases/vlc-0.7.1/autotools/missing --run
>> autoheader
>> touch ./)].in)].in
>> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
>> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: ~touch ./)].in)].in'
>> doing a
>> $make vlc
>> makes it compile fine, although I had to manually compile a few
>> subdirectories since make didn't recurse into them...
>> thnx,
>> matt

Matthew M.I. Romaine
IMNC Audio Codec Group