[vlc-devel] Re: How can add a new codec module to VLC?

Matthew Romaine Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com
Thu May 20 13:37:51 CEST 2004

On 2004/05/20, at 15:47, Gildas Bazin wrote:

> Last advice, beware that VLC is released under the GPL license so you
> might
> have problems with linking to a proprietary library.

Heh, I'm glad you brought this up.  I haven't gotten around to
consulting with lawyers yet, but my understanding is that the GPL
doesn't really restrict linking to a proprietary library.  I understand
all modifications I make to the VLC code base -- including file parsing
and function calls to the library, etc. -- will have to be released,
but aside from the concern that people will know what the function
names are inside the library, is there anything else that I should
note?  The GPL doesn't require that I also release the proprietary
library, right? (i.e., my contributions for the time being may be
unusable...)

thnx,
matt