[vlc-devel] Re: set_capabilities

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu May 20 14:01:00 CEST 2004

On 20 mei 2004, at 09:40, Matthew Romaine wrote:
> Hi all, thanks for your support.  things are moving along steadily.
> three things:
>
> 1) when I make even minor changes to my module, I have to "make clean;
> make" from the top of the tree for my changes to register.  I would
> have thought, as a shared library, i would be able to recompile just
> the library... am I missing something? (btw, I'm on OSX)

I always use the following command:
cd modules/codec/ffmpeg ; make ; cd ../../../ ; rm -r VLC.app ; make
VLC.app

This usually works pretty well for small changes in modules. and it
only requires one line.

> 2) i've found a minor bug in the standard tree (demux/wav.c, for
> example); what procedure do you want me to use to send updates?  a
> diff/patch file?

svn diff and send the patch to vlc-devel list.

> 3) see below:
>
> On 2004/05/19, at 23:36, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
>>
>>> 	For what it's worth, I setup the logger module to output to a file,
>>> but after running and quitting once, VLC won't start up again (it
>>> just keeps bouncing on my dock).
>>
>> you designated it as your primary interface, so the macosx interface
>> isn't working anymore. You should keep the macosx intf as the primary
>> interface and add the logger interface as a '--extraintf' interface.
>
> I wonder if it would be helpful to popup a warning or perhaps not
> allow any primary interfaces that would cause problems when starting
> up a second time.  The "extra interface" dialog box is a text box (the
> primary one being a pulldown) so it was not clear to me initially that
> selecting logger as a primary interface would cause problems.  In
> fact, a ./bootstrap and reconfigure didn't reset the primary interface
> line in the vlcrc file....

Currently such a thing is not possible, since it would require a
dependancy on the OSX interface, which is not a good thing.
You can easily add interfaces in 0.7.2 via the Application menu -> Add
Interface menu.

DJ

---
Universiteit Twente