[vlc-devel] PTS is out of range

Matthew Romaine Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com
Fri May 21 09:29:58 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I'm sure you've seen a lot of these before, but the "PTS is out of
range (X), dropping buffer" is killing me.
My understanding is that this means a buffer came way after it was
expected.  This is supposed to be just straight audio (no video
syncing), so I was hoping it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it looks
like pretty much every single frame of decoded audio is behind time -
VLC crashes b/c the message queue gets too long :)

The I64Fd ranges ( mdate() - p_buffer->start_date ) have been at times
39,000 ~ 48,000, and at other times -8,000 ~ 8,000.  Any suggestions on
where I should be looking?  I've looked through all the other codecs to
be sure I'm doing DateInit, DateSet, etc. correctly...

For what it's worth, the Decoder was only called 3 times before
crashing; then I put in a *pp_block = NULL after *p_block = *pp_block
towards the top of the decoder function and now it gets called many
times; however, I am printing out the p_buffer->start_date in
audio_output/input.c and it's not incrementing by the amount I am
fixing it at (2048); rather, start_date seems to increment at some
value between range 2044 and 2056... is there some roundoff going on?

tia,
matt