[vlc-devel] Re: GPL issues ( was: Re: How can add a new codec module to VLC?)

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Fri May 21 10:40:48 CEST 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004, Matthew Romaine wrote:

>  14:40 < gibalou> considering that only distribution is regulated by
> the GPL, can you actually have code that depends on a proprietary
> library as long as you don't distribute this library with the program ?
> 14:40 < thedj> yes
> 14:40 < sam> yes
>
> How important is the ending phrase "...with the program"?

   Well spotted. This part of the sentence should actually be removed;
the aforementioned code cannot be distributed at all, whether with or
without the library. No matter how the bits are agenced and separated,
it is the initial purpose of the code which matters.

   The KDE/Qt story and the various GPLed programs that used the
non-free XForms are examples of this situation. GPLed programs that
use Motif are counter-examples. This is simply because there exists a
library equivalent to Motif (called Lesstif) that is free; hence such
programs can be distributed with Lesstif but the user is free to use
Motif instead.

Regards,
--
Sam.