[vlc-devel] Re: Patch for sse support solaris 9_x86

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun May 30 17:01:58 CEST 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004, Mats Rojestal wrote:

> This is a dilemma configure is not yet smart enough to do this kind of
> detection with sse and older kernels and  kernel patch level less
> 112234-12 will crash vlc when playing movie if sse is used.
> One approach that for configure has is to compile and execute code
> snippet with sse and check result as it is done in mplayer configure.

   mplayer makes this annoying assumption that the machine that will run
the software is the same as the one currently building it. People should
understand that this is a terribly wrong and suboptimal thing to do.
It does not work when cross-compiling, it does not work when building
generic packages, and it makes you recompile the application when you
upgrade your kernel.

   We need two separate checks: first, that the compiler supports SSE
(easy, this is already done in configure), and second, that the machine
running VLC supports SSE (this is done by setting a handler for SIGILL
and executing an SSE instruction).

--
Sam.