[vlc-devel] stream transcoding and crop/padd

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Nov 3 02:44:27 CET 2004

Hi list.

I've been playing around with vlc and its stream output capabilities,
because I'm searching for a solution to display video streams on TV's
connected to DVB cards.

One of the special problems in this case is that these cards can only
output mpeg streams in certain formats, esp. only 240/288/480/576 video
lines. To display any wide screen video material, the video needs to be
letterboxed, eg. padded to 4:3 format.

Since I'm coding too, I've been digging into 0.7.2 sources (esp.
modules/stream_out/transcode.c) to get an idea on how difficult it would
be to add this, just to realize later that current cvs code has
dramatically changed. Guess I have to read a bit more about vlc's video
filtering concept now. ;)

As far as I've read the sources, the crop parameters are currently not
working at all. Is this known to-do or are there plans to drop this
before 0.8 release? Is there someone working on this? And: While on it,
implementing padding would be really useful for me... ;)

Cheers,

Udo