[vlc-devel] [ANN] VLC 0.8.0
hartman at videolan.org
Wed Nov 3 14:17:29 CET 2004
We counted the votes and the results are conclusive. It has taken a
long time, but the VideoLAN team is happy to announce version 0.8.0 of
VLC media player.
This new release features:
* Re-write of the input layer.
(better, faster, more extensible - eg. allows multi-input
* Re-write of the transcoding layer.
(everything VLC plays can now be transcoded).
* New plugins cache system to speed up launch time.
* Improvements to the subtitles/OSD subsystem.
* Vastly improved DVD support.
* DirectX Media Object decoder/encoder (Win32 only - supports WMV3).
* Cross-platform OpenGL video output.
* New screen capture input plugin (to stream your desktop).
* Windows Media Server RTSP support.
* Multipart JPEG webcam support
* Multipart JPEG muxing.
(for video streaming to a Mozilla Web Browser)
* DVB subtitles decoding/encoding.
* Audio equalizer.
* Vobsub support
* Multichannel audio downmixing
For a complete list, please have a look at the release notes:
Binary packages are already available for:
- MacOS X
Other binaries packages (Debian Packages, RedHad/Fedora Core RPM, BeOS)
You can download the source code or binary packages from here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc by clicking your OS logo.
This release doesn't include DTS audio decoding support.
DTS Inc. claims that distributing this software with DTS decoding
capabilities is a violation of their patent EP 864 146. At DTS Inc.
request, we decided, as a precautionary measure, to provisionally
suspend the distribution of VLC with DTS decoding capabilities while
reviewing DTS Inc. claim. This is not an acknowledgement of the
validity of the claim.
For the VideoLAN team,
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)
This is the vlc-devel mailing-list, see http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
To unsubscribe, please read http://developers.videolan.org/lists.html
More information about the vlc-devel