[vlc-devel] VLC on TheOpenCD

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at gotadsl.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 23:01:43 CET 2004

Hello,

I've posted in the forum, but it was suggested I repost here:

We've been using the VLC player for some time to launch some videos from
the CD browser of TheOpenCD. This time we have also decided to include
it as an actual featured program on the disc as well. As always we have
several issues and questions Smile

As before, there is the issue of deCSS. We would prefer to distribute a
copy by default that does not have deCSS on it so that the same version
of the CD can be distributed to all sorts of places without concern.
TheOpenCD is increasingly being distributed by schools, universities and
government agencies who tend to ask specifically whether there are any
IP issues to be concerned about, and we need to be able to answer
clearly No. (in fact most of these people are unfamiliar with open
source and are really asking about the copyright of the applications
themselves, but still, there cannot be any gray issues).

Last time I solved this by simply removing some .DLLs, which was fine
for running from the CD, but now that we plan to actually let users
install it on their machines, we should probably do it properly. Murray
mentioned in this
<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=35&highlight=opencd> tread
that it was a matter of compiling with the --disable-dvdcss option. But
also that Windows compilation was a bit tricky. I wonder if we might
have some help with that? (it might of course again simply be a question
of removing DLLs and re-packing, please advise)

So, we would like to keep deCSS off the CD, but we don't want to just
duck the issue. We all feel quite strongly about the dangers of software
patents, and would like to inform our users about it. So we would like
to point our users to your original version on-line that they can
download, or ideally a small patch that would enable DVD functionality
for them. This should be accompanied with text explaining the issues of
software patents, using the VLC/deCSS issue as a clear example. Perhaps
we should write such a text in collaboration. We could also include
relevant literature such as 'Free Culture' by Lawrence Lessig.

Also, what would you recommend as the best method for running it off the
CD? Previously, with our old browser technology, we launched the player
with some command line options, including resolution and the file name.
We then grayed out the launch button for 5 seconds to stop people
pressing it twice while waiting for the player to launch. I understand
start times have improved in v0.8, so that should help, but we might
still want to do something similar. This time we are actually using a
Mozilla based browser technology. I see that v0.8 has a Mozilla plug-in.
How does that work? Does it play in the browser itself like quicktime
does, or does it launch a separate window?

Cheers,

Henrik
http://www.theopencd.org/